Sharpen Your Blade and Watch Your Back!
Since 1979, Sanctuary has been the nastiest, ugliest, and grittiest city in fantasy fiction. It is a place appropriately nicknamed "Thieves' World." The fourteen anthologies of the Thieves' World series and the Sanctuary novel by Lynn Abbey have detailed this dark and dangerous city and the world in which it exists, through the literary voices of some of the most influential authors in modern fantasy fiction!
Now, Sanctuary is yours to explore with the Thieves' World Player's Manual, the definitive d20 System guide for creating characters and playing in this classic and vibrant fantasy setting. Inside this book, you'll find:
- A detailed primer of Sanctuary including overviews of the various neighborhoods and the people living there.
- An all new culture and background system to provide the ultimate flexibility for character creation, with over 14 cultures and over 20 backgrounds, from prizefighter to merchant to soldier.
- New Thieves' World-appropriate base classes such as the learned savant, powerful godsworn, and the dreaded witch.
- Over a dozen new prestige classes, each bringing to life a different aspect of the Thieves' World stories. Take on the oath of the Sacred Bander, join the Blue Star Adepts, or train to be a fearsome Hazard Mage!
- New skills and feats like Gamble, Crippler's Eye, Witchblooded, and Touch the Otherworld.
- Full rules for infection, severe wounds, and massive damage, all reflecting the deadly world of the anthologies.
- Who you are and who you know matters in Sanctuary. The Thieves' World Player's Manual provides new rules for character reputations and contacts.
- An all-new evocative magic system that captures the elusive—and often dangerous—nature of magic in the Thieves' World anthologies. Also included are rules for crafting new magic items, such as the focus and matrix.
- Extensive new rules for bestowing curses, a form of magic that even the lowliest beggar can wield...for a price.
- Over 20 new domains like Inspiration and Night, and details on the gods of Sanctuary and the wider world.
- Top-notch art from some of the industry's best, including Kent Burles, Ilya Astrakhan, Toren "Macbin" Atkinson, and Mike Vilardi.
- A Tale of Two Cities, a brand new Thieves' World short story written by Lynn Abbey.
Explore the Maze, enjoy the delights of the Street of Red Lanterns, or take part in the fight against Dyareela's cultists. The dark and dangerous streets of Sanctuary hold both great reward and dangers beyond imagination. The Thieves' World Player's Manual is your gateway to adventure!
While the Thieves' World Player's Manual contains all the basic tools you need for adventuring in Sanctuary, it is just the first book in a series detailing this most dangerous of fantasy cities. The series continues with a tale of death and intrigue in Murder at the Vulgar Unicorn, and the deeper secrets of Thieves' World are explored in Shadowspawn's Guide to Sanctuary. Finally, the Thieves' World Gazetteer expands the scope to take in the wider world.
The World of Sanctuary Awaits You!
This product is a supplement for the Dungeons & Dragons core rulebooks. It is published under the Open Gaming License (OGL) and is compatible with the D&D 3.0/3.5 edition rules and the D20 System.